Osso Bucco di Agnello
by Zia's Italian Restaurant
Braised Lamb Shank Makes 4 servings
- 4 ea Lamb shanks (Approximately 1 lb. each shank)
- 3 oz. Olive Oil
- 1 ea Medium Onion, ¼" diced
- 3 stalks Celery, ¼" diced
- 2 ea Medium Carrots, ¼" diced
- ½ cup Flour
- 2 cups Dry White Wine
- 1 qt Chicken Stock
- 1 qt Chopped Tomato, canned
- 2 Tbl Fresh Basil, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbl Fresh Thyme, chopped
- ½ cup Veal Demi Glace
- 2 Tbl Chopped Parsley
- Coarse salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large brazier pan, heat olive oil over high heat. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper and dust in flour. Shake excess off. Add the lamb shanks to brazier pan and (sear) all sides until nicely browned.
- Transfer the shanks into a roasting pan- 4 inches deep. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic to saute pan and sauté the vegetables until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and reduce to half. Pour in the chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Add fresh basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour the sauce over lamb shank. Cover (seal) with foil and cook in oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Remove from oven. Transfer the veal shanks to a holding pan (covered). Place the pan with sauce over high heat. Whisk in the demi glace until incorporated.
- Transfer the lamb shanks to individual plates or a platter. Then spoon the sauce over all and sprinkle with chopped parsley. We recommend serving this dish with mashed potatoes.